Tuesday, September 11, 2018

We will never forget


I will always remember that morning in 2001; I was on a vacation day and was at home in my apartment on Library Road when I actually saw the news cut into whatever I was watching that morning.

They said a plane hit one of the towers in New York and that terrorism was NOT suspected.  Right then, my mother called and asked if I knew what was going on.
For the next few hours of that day information slowly unfolded that another plane hit the other tower, it was terrorism, a third plane hit the pentagon and a fourth plane went down near Somerset (which is about 1 hour from where I live). I remember just wanting to make sure my family was okay. I have a second cousin that worked in the towers. Later in the day we found out she was fine - she went into work late that day; if she had not she would be probably be gone.

What a sad day of destruction.  So many heroes stepped up during that day and the days to follow and I simply remember a deep feeling of gratitude for simply being alive!

Along with a memorial in NYC; a memorial in Shanksville, PA has been constructed since then and I have visited a few times to pay respects to those 40 heroes that saved so many lives by sacrificing their own!  This year they have added a new tower called the Tower of Voices. You can check it out here. It is now open to the public although it is not completely done yet. I plan to go pay respects soon.

Never Forget!

12 comments:

  1. I was in NY from the 11- 13. On the 10th my dr called and said they had a cancellation and could I come on the 11th? I went back to my hotel, called and changed my reservation on Amtrak to head home. I rescheduled my meetings with clients. I was back in DC on the 11th. Not that it was much better here. I remember it all too vividly. Thank God for a yeast infection...tee hee. That is the only reason I was not in NYC that day and left on the evening of the 10th. wild huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! Very wild!!! It is amazing how one small (yet very painful thing) can change your life that much, right?!?! Crazy! How sad it must be for those that lost loved ones in thinking if only... UGH! Thanks for sharing that experience!!! As scary of a time as it was, I remember everyone seeming to be so much closer than we are now though!!! I can remember consciously smiling and saying hello to strangers in the weeks and months to follow the tragedy!!! Hugs!

      Delete
  2. I live on Long Island and commute to NYC. Most of my professional life has been in lower Manhattan and across the river in Jersey City. In 2001 I was working for a firm on Long Island, but I’d have to go into the city frequently for business. I was very lucky on 9/11/01, I had no appointments in the city and was planning to spend the day at the office. I was driving to work when I heard the news. It was a terrible terrible time ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your experience~So it really hits home for you! It could have been a very different outcome in your life! Glad it took the turn it did and I have grown to cherish these "internet" relationships as much as "real life" ones! Hugs!

      Delete
  3. I will never forget that morning on 9/11/01. The tower of voices in PA looks and sounds beautiful. A fitting memorial. God bless the heroes and all who lost someone that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not have said it any better Terri! HUGS!

      Delete
  4. Never, ever forget! I find it so interesting when folks share their personal testimonies. Together, bound by horror … then resolve. I'd not heard of the Tower of Voices; going to that link now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! The link has a lot of really interesting facts and accounts of that day. I hope you have a great week!

      Delete
  5. Such a sad and memorable day. I can't imagine what it was like to be on the plane that crashed in PA.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. Nice place you have here. Following you back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abby! Thanks for following back. I agree...I cannot begin to think what those people went through - really all people - in the planes and towers on that horrific day! My prayers are with them and their families always! Have a great week! Hugs

      Delete
  6. I remember everything about that day. It was horrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree Debby! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!! Hugs

      Delete

ICU Nurse it is

 Hi everyone!! I am just here checking in quickly. I almost feel bad checking in as it has been an eternity since I posted!!! UGH! Life has ...