Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Weekend Palooza

Happy new week everyone! I hope everyone is doing well after the weekend...

WOW! What a weekend I had!

I volunteered to run gear check at the Pittsburgh Marathon since I am not allowed to run anymore.  It was an amazing experience and it felt so good to get to give back to the Marathon that I have loved for so may years!

Here is my vest and radio!!! HA!






Friday night I was invited (I won the invite at a work raffle) to a VIP dinner for the Pittsburgh Marathon.

It was held at the Westin William Penn hotel and it was phenomenal.  They had amazing food stations everywhere...here is what I selected to eat...

Tri-colored pasta with veggies...




and, of course (it was in Pittsburgh), cheese pierogies with bacon and mushrooms!!! YUM!




This amazing woman, Patrice Matamoros, re-invested and ran this marathon for the past 11 years!! She is incredible. She has decided to move on to other thinks so this will be her last marathon to coordinate. There was a surprise celebration for her during the dinner as well!! You can read all about her HERE! The mayor gave her her own DAY!!! So cool!


This is a frame with all the Marathon finisher medals since she took over in 2008!!!



And this is a quilt that they made her with a shirt from every year!! So awesome! Her team loves her sooo much! What a leader!



Yummy Bethel Bakery cookies were given out on our way out! YUM!



I had agreed to run gear check months ago before finding out that it was  my nephews First Communion that weekend. I rarely miss nieces and nephews events and I felt horrible but I had already committed so I could not bail. The rest of the family represented well I heard. Here is the sweet little man!!!




The sweet little man and his sweet family - this is my little brother's family...what a cutie in his suit!



Here are all the cousins together!!!! Such cuties~



This is my parents with the little cutie!!



Also, Saturday was this little (big now-HA!) guys birthday! He turned 20?!?!?!? What!?!?! Crazy how fast time goes! Happy birthday sweet nephew Matthew-I love you soooooo very much!



Here is my outfit for gear check - the quarter zip is so cute - I love it!


Vest and radio again...



Here is one of the many FedEx volunteers (15 to be exact) that dedicated their time all day and one of my three volunteers! I work with her and she did an amazing job too!!!  We got rained on all day (from 3AM to 3PM) but no one complained AT ALL!



Terri and I - she is a great person and so fun to hang out with!


It was a whirlwind weekend full of so much fun! Thank you so much P3R for allowing me to volunteer and give back! It was so rewarding! They are always looking for help and I am sure they are already planning for next years marathon - so, if you live near Pittsburgh and you want to help contact them HERE.

I enjoyed a few hours sleep and then ran off to the airport for a work trip.

I hope everyone has a phenomenal week - HUGS to every one of you!

Ever run a marathon? Ever run/walk a race? Do you do volunteer work? What did you do this weekend?

15 comments:

  1. I love working the other side of a race - you see how much hard work goes into it - one time, I passed out medals & was there 1.5 hours BEFORE the race & stayed till the last person crossed - I said it was more exhausting doing that than any race I've ever ran!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That is true Rebecca Jo! HA! Great job on staying for the last person - I used to be that person! I am not fast! Hugs - have a great day!

      Delete
  2. I’m not a runner. I sometimes volunteer for the American Cancer Society walkathon, though. It feels good to give back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does feel good to give back and the runners are so appreciative! Loved it! Cannot wait till next year now! Have a great day!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a busy and fun weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was Ann - I loved every second! Have a great week!

      Delete
  4. I ran track in high school... quarter mile (440). I never ran a marathon and will never run a block, let alone a marathon!! My knees are shot. It was a great thing to volunteer for and I know you had a great time! Too bad it rained all day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The runners loved the rain - it cooled them off! HA! Just have to be careful you don't slip running. Go you - I never ran until I turned around 30 and found out everyone gets a medal! HA HA! Have a great day!

      Delete
  5. Great post! Why can't you run anymore? I can't either but in my heart I am still a runner. It's how I define myself like, "I have brown hair and eyes, freckles, own a business and I am a runner."

    Fun family photos. Is your mom the cutest little peanut? She looks tiny in that picture.

    All in all, seems like a great day of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I have psoriatic arthritis and I am not allowed anymore :-(
      It is horrible on my joints apparently. I love that Linda!! Running has my heart too! My Mom is a sweetie and she is my world!

      Delete
  6. Wow, what a busy weekend you had! What exactly does a gear check person do? Nope, I have run a marathon, but did do several MS walks in HS and college (I think they were 20 or 22 miles). Our farmers' market had its grand opening on the 4th, so did that in the morning. Attended the Rescue Squad's steak and shrimp dinner that evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the runners have anything they do not want to run with; like on rainy days they bring clothes to change into, etc. They can put them in a bag and leave them with our trucks; then after the race they come pick them up at the same place...we kind of hold things for runners... Have a great week Robin

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a good day despite the weather. Shame about the 1st communion but at least you have the pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really bummed Wendy but there was no way I could do it all...so bummed though! The day was perfect for the runners so it all worked out! Have a great day Wendy!

      Delete
  8. That's so cool you worked it :) You're making me hungry with all your food pics haha

    ReplyDelete

ICU Nurse it is

 Hi everyone!! I am just here checking in quickly. I almost feel bad checking in as it has been an eternity since I posted!!! UGH! Life has ...