Monday, December 3, 2018

65 Roses Charity Sports Auction

Happy, happy Monday ya'll!!!

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!!!!

Mine was great!

I left off telling you guys that I was attending a charity event last week.

The charity event is called 65 Roses Sports Auction to benefit Cystic Fibrosis.

This year the event was again held in the Sheraton Hotel at Station Square in Pittsburgh. In the past it was held at McFadden's bar (I personally enjoyed that more).

When it was moved to the Sheraton the food was better at first (sit down nice meal of stuffed chicken breast, etc) but now it has declined to less than bar food - LOL! In my humble opinion...

So, I had gone for about four years when it was at McFadden's and it was hosted by the Steelers player Brett Keisel. He always recruited really good, current, 1st string players like Ben Roethlisberger, Troy Polamalu, Hines Ward, etc. I have some great footballs from those days!!! Then it was turned over to Cam Heyard to host and now to player Stephan Tuitt and it just keeps going further down hill. This year we only had like two players I have heard of and the rest were alum (from the 1977 and 1979 Steelers and they were not even popular alum).  I am sure this sounds terrible but when you pay $150 donation for the football (and you know how great it used to be) it is a let down when no popular players show up.

Anyway, this was the first year for Tuitt to host it so I thought it may turn around so I attended again this year.  Unfortunately the players that showed were no better than the past few years. Needless to say, it is still a charity donation but I will not go again.

So let me give the down low....

Here is the welcome sign to the event thanking the sponsors...

Here is me and Kathy that I attended with at our lucky 13 table - LOL!!!

And here is the table of Steelers (past and present) lined up to sign the balls...you take your football down the line and get it signed (one at a time) by each player!  It was amazing when it was the popular players!!! That is Stephan Tuitt #91 in the black sweater talking to thew first person in line to be signed. And then down the line was J. Hargrave #79, R. Nix #45, I Nwokeji #64, and T. Matakevich #44...those are the current players. Then there was four alumni..Charlie Batch whom we all know and love (he does soooo much charity throughout Pittsburgh), Robin Cole, Ron Loder and Edmund Nelson.

 Here is the completely signed football...it is going to be a present for a family member so I cannot say who (in case they actually read my blog - LOL!)


After the signing was dinner...I took a little of everything to show you all what the selection was...they had pork and burger sliders, mini pierogies, mac and cheese and green beans. With the exception of the green beans; it was a carb fest! LOL! They called it tailgate food - I guess that is true.
 And dessert...they did have every dessert under the sun!
 After dinner and dessert was a presentation called "A Day in the Life" and it was a sweet little girl that was diagnosed when she was three with CF. She explained all about their life with the disease and what is required daily just to live "normally". So at least our donations help!!
Then was held an auction for so autographed memorabilia and also a silent acution.  Here is an example of the silent auction items...

A signed copy of Madden 2019 (signed by Antonio Brown himself) and an X Box...


And this football signed by JuJu Smith-Schuster....
 Here is the bidding sheet for it when we left....

We did not bid on anything so we left before they collected the silent action items.

It was a fun night out with friends but I would not go again. I have a friend on the board of CF and I have given her this feedback and they do not seem to care enough to change anything so I guess that says it all. I am bummed it has gone downhill rather than grown better.

Here are the past posts I could find...

2013
2014

How was your weekend?!?! What did you do? Anything exciting?!?! Ever get disappointed when an event is not what you are hoping it would be?

Happy Monday ya'll!!!





10 comments:

  1. I'm glad you attended even though it wasn't all that you had hoped it would be. That football is awesome, what a great gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too Debby. I think I will not go next year but I am glad I gave it one more shot this year.

      Delete
  2. I remember you posting about this before and how blown away you were with the awesomeness! Sad it's gone down hill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Julie, sad when you know how awesome it used to be!!!

      Delete
  3. What a fun event for such a good cause!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Rebecca Jo I am trying to stay focused on the fact that it supports a good cause.

      Delete
  4. Well, at least it was for a good cause, but as a Steeler fan I totally get your disappointment. I'm dying to know what 70s players were there! You can tell me on my blog, I won't blab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin Cole, Ron Loder and Edmund Nelson were the players from the 70's Stacy

      Delete
  5. Galas and big fundraisers are SO hard to maintain. Over 30 years of my working life was with non-profits trying to stay afloat. Sure sounds like it is time for CF to revamp that fundraiser to give it new life. If you have some ideas, get a meeting with their Development Director and offer your suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have offered them with my friend that is on the board and they do not see interested. I will continue to donate just not at this event.

      Delete

ICU Nurse it is

 Hi everyone!! I am just here checking in quickly. I almost feel bad checking in as it has been an eternity since I posted!!! UGH! Life has ...