Thursday, August 2, 2018

Picked a Peck of Pickled Serrano Peppers

Happy Thursday!!!!

Thanks for coming by today! Today I am going to invite you into my kitchen!!! I decided to try canning this summer!! It turned out great!! 

I grew a serrano pepper plant this year on my patio. I love hot peppers but always struggle with ways to use them at the end of summer.  My got a canning book from my Grandma's house when she passed away and found a few recipes for peppers. I wanted to try a hot pepper relish but I figured for my first try I needed to shot a little lower so I just went for basic canning of the peppers this year.

Here is the recipe I used...

See - very basic.

My new dishwasher came in handy to sterilize my new Ball jars prior to filling...


So here is the whole process...

This is my pepper plant after I removed the peppers...


And this is all of the peppers!! This is only from one plant...I think I will plant more next year...

I put on rubber gloves and then cut the peppers in half and removed the stems!! I also chopped in a few store bought banana peppers for variety...

I filled all the jars with peppers and then poured the hot mixture over them to fill the jars with 1/4 inch left on the top.  Then put the lids on and boiled them for ten minutes.  As you see, I do not have a canning pot so I made my own...LOL!! The water has to cover the top by 1-2 inches and then you just boil and remove from the water bath after ten minutes.

Here are the jars after taking them out of the bath. They are supposed to site for 24 hours before moving them around.  This is when you also check to make sure they all sealed. You simply push done on the middle of the lid and it should not pop at all...that means it is sealed.

These peppers will have a shelf life of 18 months without being refridgerated.

I'll let you know how they are after they sit a few weeks and I finally try one!!1

YUMMY!!




5 comments:

  1. I haven't canned anything in years. It really isn't' difficult though. I tried making my mom's recipe for green tomato relish a few years ago. Hers was SO good. Mine... not so much. It was okay, and I followed her recipe, but I think she must have make a few changes because something was just missing. Then again, perhaps it was just that Mom didn't make the relish. Sigh.

    I'm sure your peppers will be delicious! Do let us know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terri: I will definitely let you all know how they turn out. Not sure how long i have to wait until they are pickled? LOL! Probably a few weeks at least...HAHA! Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. Good job! I have grown peppers several time and then wondered what to do with them all lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie! My Grandmothers canning recipe book has lit of great ideas! I think next year I will plant more and try pepper jelly and sweet and hot pepper relish!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go! I've never canned anything. I can't do these hot peppers but I hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete

ICU Nurse it is

 Hi everyone!! I am just here checking in quickly. I almost feel bad checking in as it has been an eternity since I posted!!! UGH! Life has ...