Saturday, August 4, 2018

Basic Basil Pesto

Here it is ya'll! My attempt to save and enjoy the flavor of basil all year! In the summer I eat basil everyday! I plant a lot of basil plants on my patio and I enjoy it in salads with also just with tomatoes and mozzarella!! YUM!!!

IT makes me so very sad to be typing this but...

Now that Fall is on the way, I decided to cut down a few plants and make pesto to freeze so I can enjoy this flavor all winter on pasta!! Here is the recipe I followed..I make basic pesto...no fancy variations! HA!


Here is the preparation details...



Sounds so simple, right???...Well, it really is! Here is my basil washed and ready to spin dry!! This gadget is the best! I wash leaves at least three times and then let it sit in the water for about an hour so anything still alive and clinging on can escape!! No one wants ground spiders, bugs, etc. in their pesto?!?!? Then just use the spinner lid and spin dry!



I started off putting all the ingredients above into  my blender and that did not work...LOL!!  The blender did not want to grind the leaves at all. LOL!


So instead; I transferred everything from my blender to my handy bullet and it worked great!!!...

After it was well mixed and ground up; I moved it into snack baggies to portion it out...

And then into the freezer. After they are frozen you can use them as you want to. They will last a year in your freezer (although mine never make it to Spring). HA HA!  When you want pesto, just take out a baggie and use the whole thing or just break it in half and re-zip the rest!! This is the best method I have found since they freeze flat and easy to break off portions. (I used to use ice cube trays but I like this better.

I hope this convinces you to try it! Making your own pesto is so easy and you know exactly what it is in it! YUMMY. It is a great way to savor summer all year!! Thank you or stopping by and I hope you have a great day!

Anyone else love pesto? What do you prefer on your pasta? Have any fun, easy recipes you use every year?!?!

9 comments:

  1. Now this one sounds good to me. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Joe does not like Pesto so it is not something I cook with. Your recipe does sound easy and good, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I grew basil before, it was great to just go out and pick some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Julie… Yes it is so convenient to just have it out there on the patio! I think I added to everything I eat now… I'm really going to miss it once fall comes! Hugs!

      Delete
  4. This is the first year the basil hasn't died so I did make pesto. It is so good. I will give the freezer trick a try. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra!!! I think you will love the freezing tip! Let me know how it works out for you! Have a great rest your week!

      Delete
  5. Hi Jessi! You are welcome! Thanks for stopping by and I always love to hear my readers comments and get to know you!! Have a fantastic week!!!

    ReplyDelete

ICU Nurse it is

 Hi everyone!! I am just here checking in quickly. I almost feel bad checking in as it has been an eternity since I posted!!! UGH! Life has ...