Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Dosage Calculation Rocks


Soooo….this happened! Lol! We have a really hard water in my Condo so the cartridges for water Fossetts go bad really quickly it seems. Thank goodness I watched my dad the first time he changed one so I don’t have to call him any more for it. I know how to do them myself. This time I was unable to get the tub to shut off. When you have to push really hard to shut your faucet off, you need a new cartridge. So I ran to Home Depot bought a cartridge and switched it out. The whole process now only takes me about 20 minutes since I do it so often. Ha ha! Most important thing is to remember to turn off your water. From there it’s super easy. One of these times I will document the entire process but I know I mentioned it in this blog post …
HERE


yesterday was fun getting ready for our dosage Calc test. We have to take this every semester in nursing school. Here is the prep work they send us to work through to practice the problems we will get on our test. You have to pass your dosage Calc test with at least a 95% or you cannot even complete the semester. I’m in my third semester and if you don’t get a 95% on this test then your classes are cancelled and you have to wait until next semester to take these classes again. It makes total sense considering a nurse has a patient’s life in their hands with medication dosages.


Here’s my scribble paper… Lol! My scratch paper is definitely scratchy!!


Here’s a sample question… The doctor orders propofol 350 mcg/min. The dose you have on hand is propofol 50 mg in 100 mL of D5W.  How many mL/hr does the nurse administer the propofol? Fun question right?!?!?
Last semester I got 100%. I’m seriously hoping I can re-create that test score!

I’ve been feeling super sniffling congested. I’ve been taking Mucinex and bear aspirin I went to buy soup at the store yesterday. I’m super happy to report I ran into this! My mother used to buy this when we were kids! Has anyone else tried this? I remember when I was little it had this little clear egg in it that had oil and bullion. We used all fight over who got to put the egg in the pan. I’m sad to say there is no clear egg anymore it’s just a packet of powder. I bought some anyway because I need a little comfort feeling!


Have you ever tried this soup before? Do you remember the egg? What did you get for the answer to the question above? 

I’m now off to read your blogs and see how everyone’s doing before I study some more.

Hugs and stay safe out there!!!!


30 comments:

  1. I've never had that soup, we always had chicken noodle from the can when we were sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother used to get it all time! I am almost afraid to make it as I am worried it will not live up to my expectations from when I was a child! HAHA! Have a great day Julie!

      Delete
  2. I don't think that soup made it over here. When we were poorly we had tomato soup.
    I hope you did ace that important test. It is before dawn here and my mathematics brain has not yet got up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind wishes!! I have the test tomorrow morning but I think I a definitely prepared! It takes me half the day to get my math brain working! HAHA - HUGS

      Delete
  3. Hi from a first time visitor to your blog. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog post today. I also enjoy making new blog friends and do try to read blogs at least once a week, as a daily basis is difficult. That said, I do plan to read some of your older posts to get to "know" more about you.

    I did read your blog intro and kudos to you for making that midlife change to study nursing. I could not have figured out the correct dosage for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think anyone can do it if they are shown the formulas. If I can do it, anyone can! Thanks for visiting and welcome!!! I love new friends!! Have a great week - HUGS

      Delete
  4. Do not recognize that brand of soup, but any noodle soup is good for a cold on a cold day! I did not even consider that math problem, but blessings on you for doing this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!!! I agree noodle soup is the best especially for illness and cold weather! The problems are easy once you know the formula...if I can do it, anyone can! HUGS!!

      Delete
  5. It's funny, I had a sore throat and was tired and feeling all over awful. I panic and think Covid immediately. Sad isn't it? what a world. I am so thrilled for your nursing progress, hell 100% is perfect! Good job Ann and to enter nursing during this time is brave. I applaud you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are feeling better now!! That's the worst to feel sick during these scary times of COVID. Thanks for the words of support and encouragement! They help more than you know!!! There have been many moments when I have doubted this decision but I am halfway done so it is too late to turnback now!! HAHA! Have a great week Margaret!

      Delete
  6. Good luck with your test! I'm sure you will score 100% this time as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the wonderful words of encouragement! I hope you are right - I feel prepared for sure. HUGS

      Delete
  7. I'd like to know more about the cartridge. Our water is very soft so I have no experience of these things. Btw, you linked the search term rather than the direct link to your earlier post. I've done that myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise the next time I change it out I will record each step! It is so easy to do and saves so much money when you do it yourself. Oops...I will go fix the link now! Thanks Andrew!

      Delete
  8. Stopped by for a visit to your Blog. Our Oldest Daughter and Family live in Pittsburgh, their Three Grown Daughter still live there and the Oldest Granddaughter and her Husband just bought a Historic Home, I'm so envious, more of those out there than here in the Desert. The Man is a rabid Steelers Fan too. I Hope you do well on your Test. Our Middle Granddaughter in Pittsburgh is a Nurse, she's in her Twenties so is pretty new at it too, we certainly need more of you Nurses and Doctors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow!!! What a small world!! I love it here in Pittsburgh so much that I think I will not ever leave. But I also loved it when I visited Arizona (stayed in Tempe off and on for a few weeks for work). Thanks for the kind wishes on my test and GO STEELERS!! Maybe when I pass the NCLEX next year I will encounter your Granddaughter somewhere in nursing!! Have a great week - HUGS!! ) Thanks for the kind wishes on my test and GO STEELERS!! Maybe when I pass the NCLEX next year I will encounter your Granddaughter somewhere in nursing!! Have a great week - HUGS!!

      Delete
  9. I have never tried that soup but it sure sounds good! Good luck on your dosage test! God bless you! Good for you and your plumbing skills!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Terri! My Dad taught me so many "life skills" and I am thankful for that! He loves being needed but I think he also loves when we call him and tell him we changed a wiper blade on our car or fixed the hot water heater - LOL! Life skills for the win! Thanks for the kind wishes on my test - I feel prepared! HUGS

      Delete
  10. Hi and thanks for stopping at my blog. We have hard water too. I'll have to check into those cartridges.
    Hooray for nursing school! I'm glad I don't have those fun tests anymore. I remember doing all that in school, and I understand why we have to learn it - but I've not had to do it in real life, at least not complicated like that. The pharmacists always figure it all out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mari! That is a lot of what we hear from real nurses. We are taught things to understand the basis of it and we will never have to actually DO IT ourselves. HA! I guess it is good to know how though, hugh? Thanks for all your hard work as an essential worker!! Have a great week!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. It really is Christine - especially for the memories it holds!! HUGS

      Delete
  12. Never tried it but I'm going to look next time I go into the market. Good luck on your test!!! Keeping my fingers crossed. Also, better you than me. I'd flunk that for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Linda - you would do fine if you were given the formulas. Just have to work slowly and do conversions without errors. If I can do it, anyone can. Have a great week - I hope you like the soup if you find it!!! HUGS

      Delete
  13. We have hard water too and therefore we bought a watersoftener on a leasing base. That looks like a radiator not big at all and once a year there is a service and puts new salt cubes in. Works wonderful !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea Gattina. I would love to get a water softener but need to come up with the time to look into it here. That will have to be a bucket list thing for sure! Have a great week - HUGS

      Delete
  14. Never had the soup and good luck on your test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patrick!!! I appreciate the encouragement! HUGS

      Delete
  15. Never seen the soup here and that calculation looks complicated but I'm sure if you know the formula it shouldn't be too hard. It's good that they expect you to get 95% on the test even if it's hard. The wrong dosage for a patient could be harmful. Good luck with the test. I'm sure you'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we all definitely understand why the standard is so high. Dosage is so important and patients lives are in our hands! Hugs Wendy!

      Delete

ICU Nurse it is

 Hi everyone!! I am just here checking in quickly. I almost feel bad checking in as it has been an eternity since I posted!!! UGH! Life has ...