Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Aloe-so healthy

Hi everyone! Happy Tuesday! I hope everyone is having  a great week so far!


I wanted to share with you all my newest health fad. I am now eating aloe cubes in my water. I don't feel any different yet but I hope to!!! :-) When I went to Aruba many people that live there do this and it is not half bad so when I got home I started buying drinks online with aloe in them. Then I decided I should try to "harvest" my own!

I love the word "harvest"!!! I just does something to me deep down inside...

So here is what I do to harvest the aloe.

Buy aloe leaves - I am happy to report they sell these big ones at Walmart now! Like $3 each leaf! Awesome! They drain the aloin (dark liquid which tastes bitter and is said to cause extreme diarrhea if eaten) out of the leaf before it is sealed so you get to skip that part. Here is one of my leaves I purchased...



First cut off the end with a very sharp knife...


Then slice down each side to remove the spikes down the sides...


This is what it will look like from the side after that step...


I do this all in a 9 x 13 glass Pyrex pan to catch all the gel and keep the mess to a minimum. Then take a vegetable peeler and slice off the skin from both sides of the leaf...


It will look like this...lots of goopiness...


After you take the outer skin off the leaf you can cut it into 2 - 4 inch cubes


I float all the cubes in cold water until I am done cleaning them all.


Here are all my cubes floating in the water...this was about 5 leaves I think.


At this point I cube them all into tinier pieces and put them all in little snack bags and freeze. When I want to use them in a drink; I break them up in the baggy with a meat tenderizer and throw them in. Saving a lot of money on my aloe this way and I know exactly how much I am eating.

Have you heard of eating aloe? Here are the benefits...
  • Contains healthful plant compounds. ...
  • Antioxidant and antibacterial properties. ...
  • Accelerates the healing of burns. ...
  • Reduces dental plaque. ...
  • Helps treat canker sores. ...
  • Reduces constipation. ...
  • May improve skin and prevent wrinkles. ...
  • Lowers blood sugar levels.
If you want to read about it; there are great articles HERE and HERE.

I hope you all have a fantastic day!

HUGS!!!




19 comments:

  1. Never heard of this before. I hope it works for you.

    Have a fabulous Happy Tuesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandee! I will keep everyone posted - so far; no difference! HA! Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. Wow, great tutorial :)
    Years ago, we used to buy aloe "juice" from Whole Foods. I honestly don't remember why we started doing that, but it was supposed to be good for something...
    Now, I don't remember why we stopped but it might've been because of the expense. Maybe I'll try your method!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is way cheaper thank those jugs of aloe! A little bit of work but kind of fun If you do a bunch at a time and freeze it. Have a great day Abby!

      Delete
  3. we grow our own aloe and use it for EVERYTHING but not eating it.. and watching what you did is to much like cooking. I hate cooking, truly hate it. but we love our aloe. good for burns and bruises, for cuts that will not heal, instant sting remover for paper cuts or things that burn and itch... I also keep 100 percent aloe gel on hand for when I don't want to mess with the stickie stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See - now you can try eating it! HA HA! I know I is not for everyone but if it can help with inflammation then I am giving it a try! Have a great day Sandra! HUGS

      Delete
  4. Wow that's different. I've heard of aloe for burns but not eating it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is what we had always used it for also Sharon. I love nature - it is amazing! Have a fantastic day! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of that, but now I'm curious. Going to have to look at our Walmart to see if they sell it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is in the produce section...right near the kiwis in mine! HA! Hope you have a great week Stacy!

      Delete
  6. Hope this works for you. Most of those symptoms I do not have. Not sure I want to do all that work. But if I see it somewhere, I may try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is kind of fun actually...interesting for sure. Hoping it helps with all around inflammation due to arthritis...time will tell. Have a great week Tabor!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Have a fantastic week Arlene - thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Hmmm, will have to read up on this. Thank you for providing the links!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem - I hope you find it interesting. Have a great day Robin!

      Delete
  9. They don't sell it here but they do sell the juice which I have used for stomach problems. Looks like a lot of work and hope it makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patti! Me too - I am a big believer in nature and medicine! Have a great day!

      Delete
  10. That's very interesting. Thanks for the links, I'm going to check them out.

    ReplyDelete

ICU Nurse it is

 Hi everyone!! I am just here checking in quickly. I almost feel bad checking in as it has been an eternity since I posted!!! UGH! Life has ...