Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Florida 2020

So first let me say....

A HUGE thank you to everyone for not giving up on my blog through my Corona virus silence!!

I can not begin to express to you guys how wonderful it was to see and read all of your comments and know that you did not all give up on me through my silence!!

So, let's rewind back to March and I will now share with you my trip to Florida to visit my parents.

Every Winter my parents rent a house in Florida and each kid goes down to visit with their family.

I usually try to overlap a few families so I can spend time with my nieces and nephews as much as possible.

So I flew down on March 10th right as we started hearing about the corona virus or Covid 19.

Here was the first day at The Villages. We went to a community pool and it was packed with people and the weather was perfection!  (Not joking, the pool was packed although you cant tell in my picture below as there was no one in the chairs in front of us.)




I got to spend a lot of time with these adorable children. Love these kids more than life itself!!


More pool time with the kids and Mom and Dad and sister...


Thinking about my babies at home and hoping they were safe. I had a cat sitter going in everyday and with all the conflicting stories I was just praying they were safe from this Corona thing.


As you can see, entertainment was in full swing at The Villages every night until a few days before we left. It was like being in a different world from what every back home was texting me was happening there.


Got a lot of golf in with my Mom and Dad. I suck but I really love to play!


We played this course in The Villages a lot as it was close to our rental house.

Another packed night at the town square...

More golf and sunshine!!!



Saw this little turtle on the golf course....sooo cute!

He did not want to meet me; as soon as I got nearby he ducked in his shell! HA



Crammed in the car and headed to the pool again....YAY


Love these kids; they go along with all my crazy dress up ideas!!!


The whole family dressed up and went to the town square for St. Patty's Day!!

My sweet niece and Godchild Kyleigh...

Sunset on the pier...

Another without the kids...

Saw this super cute exterminator car in a parking lot!!! LOL

We spent a lot of time at the pool; the kids were at school from home by the time they came down so they did homework at the pool many days.

But they did also have their fair share of relaxation in between studies...


We found this crazy bird that the kids nicknamed "red-headed chicken duck". HA! If anyone knows what it is let me know...

Quick picture while walking one morning of my Mom, sister and nephew Ryan.

This is my niece Aly pretending to be mannequin....I think she did great! Can you find her?? HA 

Around March 18th the Corona craziness hit The Villages. As you see in the picture below NO ONE came out to the square and entertainment was shut down.  We went to walk around after dinner and there were only a few people out that brought their own music to dance to.

Got a little St. Patty's family shot!
We played a lot of outside sports other than golf too. The kids loved shuffleboard, tennis and boccee. This is Kyleigh and I on a shuffleboard break....

All of us outside playing...

Aly and Ryan asking tennis anyone???

More shuffleboard fun....

A little Gecko came to hang out with us in the shuffleboard courts...

Another shot of the red-headed chicken duck...they kids fed him a lot. They were worried about him.

Here is a closer photo of this odd looking creature.

It was time to fly home on March 20th so we all headed to the airport together. My sister's family had a flight about an hour before mine so i shot this picture of them waiting to board the plane. At this point many people had masks. We did not... 

So the visit was great but strange at the end and it was very nerve-racking flying home no knowing if it was safe or not.

I arrived home March 20th around 8PM. I had no stock of anything and no food as I was to be gone for 10 days. I tried to go grocery shopping but everything was closed early due to Corona (including our 24 hour Walmart!!).  So, March 21st I went shopping and found no paper towels, toilet paper, sanitizing wipes or sanitizer. Also, the ground chicken and meats were almost empty!!! CRAZINESS!! I got so angry that I could not even purchase anything that I would need. My neighbors were wonderful and shared TP with me but the whole experience of the level of hoarding here in Pennsylvania gave me no hope for society!!! I think I all of the sudden went into shock mode and stayed there for the past three months. UGH!

So far, no one in my family or extended family has been diagnosed with the virus. We all have had symptoms like headache, cough or achy here or there but nothing confirmed and no one has gotten SICK sick. 

Is it possible that even through all of that travel and activity that none of us were exposed? My parents are both 76 and healthy...I do not know what to think. Here's to hoping that we were already exposed and have the antibodies we need to stay healthy should this virus make a comeback in the Fall.

Does anyone know anyone personally that got sick? How did your kids adjust to all the changes? how did you adjust to all the changes? Did you have hoarding in your area?

HUGS to you all!! I missed you all so much!! Have a wonderful day!!!!

 

33 comments:

  1. First on the chicken duck. I think it's a muscovy duck. Look it up and see the pictures. Hubby and I are pretty sure.

    The same hoarding was going on everywhere. No eggs, chicken, toilet paper, paper towels many soaps. It was awful. The bread isle was completely empty. Really bad.

    I know of no one that got sick with the virus. Not a soul.

    I'm so glad you're back.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to be back! I have missed you all here so much! It is so comforting to be back already!! I think you are right about the chicken duck! I will text the kids and let them know right away. He looked so sad and lost with the other "normal" ducks! LOL! HUGS

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you had such a good trip before lockdown started. Yes things were a little crazy here in the UK at the end of March, but now everyone is getting used to the new normal, in fact they are enjoying it a little too much and people are not too keen to go back to work and shop etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are having the same issues here. A lot of people are enjoying unemployment and don't want to return! LOL! I am working from home so I get where they are coming from. So glad you are safe!!!! HUGS

      Delete
  3. Well, we are still having issues here in Western NY, although we have been allowed to enter Phase 3. Still mandated to wear masks (and its near 98* here!). No stores/shops etc. will allow you in...all our deaths came from nursing home, not one regular citizen was affected...anyways, I digress.

    My folks have resided in Central Fl near the Villages for nearly 50 years. I am glad you had fun, smiles. Welcome back! I wondered where you went, grin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So the lockdown worked, then? I'm glad you didn't have to deal with the virus, it was literally a killer.

      Delete
    2. I am with you on the mask annoyance! I wear glasses so it's even worse with the heat and the mask fogging up my glasses! I'm with you and I'm so Confused on whether the hype is real or not? That's awesome that your parents live near there! Every time I go there I love it and keep thinking I would love to retire there! Everyone has so much fun! Hugs to you!

      Delete
  4. Long Islander here, we were the epicenter of the virus, but we're bouncing back. The hoarding here was crazy! My daughter, who lives in Manhattan, was on vacation in Europe when the virus hit New York. When she landed at Newark she was told to self quarantine. She had nothing in her apartment and couldn't get a grocery delivery, so her father and I had to do some emergency shopping and drop off some supplies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I know exactly how you don't have your phone! Thank goodness I have a super great neighbors that helped me out. I could've driven to my parents house and borrow some of their supply but I lived off of what was left on the shelves in the stores. Next time… You can bet I will join in the hoarding! Glad your family is safe though!

      Delete
  5. I'm in Louisiana and we got slammed pretty hard with it New Orleans had Mardi Gras right before Coronavirus blew up so no telling how many were exposed here. I know of one friend who had it and recovered but then also one high school classmates of mine both had it (they are married) and sadly the husband passed away suddenly from it. He was helping to aid his wife, who at the time seemed way worse off than he was. It was all so very sad.

    Thankfully though, no one in my immediate family has been exposed and I'm still practicing social distancing and mask wearing as much as I can while going back to work and when out (which I am still refraining as much as possible on that too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! I am so sorry to hear about your losses! I can only imagine the exposure that went on at Mardi Gras. Glad you are staying safe and taking care of yourself… Hugs!

      Delete
  6. Hoarding was one of the most disappointing things about the pandemic. God forbid that such a virus gets out again as those who would not hoard have learnt that they will miss out if they don't. Like you we were on holidays until mid March. We returned to an empty fridge and bare cupboards and nothing on supermarket shelves. We managed. It was annoying as we could have filled our car up where we holidayed and there wasn't a shortage. Self quarantining does not work. People breach it. Here those returning from overseas are put into empty hotels for two weeks under guard and the bulk of our small number of transmissions over the past month have been returning travellers. I don't know anyone who has or had the virus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you did it correctly! It was super frustrating to come back from holiday was nothing on the shelves to purchase. I agree with you… Because I was one who did not hoard and should this happen again I will join those that did to make sure I have what I need. It's just sad to me that that's how we are these days… Very self-centered Society. Hugs!!! Glad you are safe through all of this!

      Delete
  7. Not sick. No one we know has been diagnosed. We might have had it back in December/January but have not had the antibody test. I had a C-19 test before my knee surgery and it was negative. We are not mask crazy and we are not especially worried about it. Glad Florida is loosening up a bit. We have eaten out in restaurants three times. Not pushing our luck... just not sure all the hype is real. Sigh. No more shortages here, thank goodness. Of course, it is now hurricane season...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky but your shortages… Ours are still continuing here! Really glad that you and Joe have stayed healthy through all this and that your surgery is went well. Sounds like there's a lot of good healing going on. Good luck through those hurricanes… It's always something! I don't really know what to think about the hype either... super confusing times

      Delete
  8. No, we didn't get sick and Tim was just tested last week before a medical procedure. I don't personally know anyone who had it or died from it. I know a few who say they know someone or know someone who knows someone (it never seems to be first hand) and I am suspicious of any nursing home death credited to it. Those poor people are elderly and they aren't in nursing homes because they're healthy. Our daughter and her family live right next door so we saw them throughout the whole thing. Our son and his family live in Crafton Heights and we didn't see them. I still haven't, but Tim has. My mom and stepdad live next door and we didn't see them except through the door with masks on for the whole three months.

    By the way, I enjoyed the photos. I was looking at the St. Patrick's Day ones and thinking why are they wearing that stuff and then I was like "duh...March." That seems like a lifetime ago. This year is so whacked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am right there with you Stacy! It feels like March was an eternity ago! Super stressful hearing about what was going on from home so not much vacationing… But I always enjoy any time spent with my family! Yes I saw my parents through corona but we did not hug. Also I saw my sister and her kids because they were on vacation with us when this all started. The rest of my family we did not go around. I'm just ready for all of this to be over! But I'm glad your children and family are all safe!

      Delete
  9. We've just entered into Phase 2 here in Seattle. Most items are stocked in the stores but you don't have as many options. There's toilet paper, but only 2 brands. You still can't find disinfecting wipes or gloves but everything else is stocked. No one in my immediate family has gotten the virus but I know people at my church that got it, one passed away. We're able to eat in restaurants now but distanced from other patrons and only 5 at a table. The 6 of us went out to eat for the first time this morning and my husband and I had to sit at a different table. Oh well, it was just nice to eat out again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like we are about where you are. Governor of Pennsylvania says we are in the green phase. We are all wearing masks to go to stores it's required and also wearing masks into restaurants. They ask you only remove the mask. And restaurants are only allowed to have 50% of capacity. I'm glad your family is well and was not affected by the virus. I am not trying to eat out yet but it's in my plans for the upcoming week. Stay safe!

      Delete
  10. Nothing much has changed for me since I work in a grocery store. I still work every day. I just don't go out much otherwise because there's been so little that is open. I haven't gotten sick and don't know anyone who has yet our county is stuck in yellow phase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm happy to hear that you're healthy and safe. Thank you for working through all of this… You guys truly are brave because no one had any idea what we were in for and it was super scary. So kudos to you for continuing to go to work you are a hero! Here's to hoping you turn green soon! Thanks again to all of you essential workers! Hugs Ann!!!!

      Delete
  11. Glad you got in your family shindig despite the timing with the cornavirus. I tried to give the hoarders the benefit of the doubt - were buying extra for elderly friends/family, had at-risk people at home, etc. But still, it was pretty ridiculous
    I don't know anyone who's been confirmed positive for COVID.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby! Yes I started by giving the benefit of the doubt until in Florida I began seeing friends posting cupboards full of toilet paper when they either live alone or just them and their husband. I finally commented on one because it made me so angry! And it wasn't just about me but about the elderly or the sick. No one ever takes any of that into consideration and then the shelves are empty in a day! That's why I figured I needed to keep to myself… I did not have a very positive opinion… LOL! I try to spread as much joy and smiling on my blog as possible! And curve the negativity… Hence the purpose of sticking my head in the sand… LOL! Super glad you and your family have been safe also!!! Hugs

      Delete
  12. Here in a city of 110,000 we have had 65 cases total. So I don't know a soul BUT our numbers are on the rise not decline. Still everything is opening up so .... we shall see.

    I love to golf too! If you're ever in CA, we must make a tee time♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When did that sounds like an awesome plan! Fingers crossed your infections start going down soon… My little brother is planning a possible move to orange county so that golf teatime may just happen someday. Hang in there and good luck in the green… Hopefully were all on the other side of this virus thing! Hugs Linda

      Delete
  13. Looks like a very fun time. Things are not opening up Alameda County in Northern California. We are still having a lot of cases pop up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Patrick! Will be sure to stay safe… We all know what to do at this point right? Wash wash wash sanitize sanitize sanitize and wear masks! Here's to hoping that your numbers start going down. Hugs!!!

      Delete
  14. I'm pretty sure I had it in January before we knew about it. My whole office got REALLY sick. Strangely no one at home did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I am glad you only had minor complications if you really had it already. So happy to be back here!

      Delete
  15. My daughter actually knows someone who died from it and he wasn’t that old either. She also had another friend who seemed to have gotten it twice. It could be he just wasn’t totally better. She lives in Illinois where the cases of COVID-19 are a lot worse than here in Hawaii. We do know of a family of 10 who all contracted it from a graduation party in the town neighboring us. Hawaii’s numbers are lower than most of the nation, but it’s still scary.

    I’m so glad you were able to have such a fun time with your family before the lock down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Kay - I have heard your numbers are lower. Keep all of us out so it stays that way! I hope to visit Kauai again in December but we shall see how things are then. Hugs to you and prayers for the family friend that passed. it's so super sad!

      Delete
  16. I am catching up on your posts as somehow I missed the notification for new ones. It looks like you had a great time in Florida and then hit the pandemic caused hoarding full tilt. No one around me has come down with it which is a good thing. Being retired, we are already such home bodies so staying at home wasn't too bad other than not being able to go out to eat (yes, we could do carry out and we did, but no dine in until recently).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are safe and well Robin! It is so nice to be back and hear from you! HUGS to you!

      Delete

ICU Nurse it is

 Hi everyone!! I am just here checking in quickly. I almost feel bad checking in as it has been an eternity since I posted!!! UGH! Life has ...