Friday, December 12, 2008

Homemade holiday treats

One of my favorite things about the holidays is making homemade gifts to give to friends and family. I love making hardtack candy and biscotti. Although the biscotti baking has not yet commenced for the year, I did get the hardtack done and WOW!!! What a project! I ended up finding these cute little containers to put it in and made around ten double-batches all together.
Recipe is...
3 3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cup karo light syrup
1 cup water
food coloring
Lorraine oil flavoring
2 greased cookie sheets
powdered sugar

Stir together all the above until the sugar melts and then bring to a slow boil while stirring. Insert candy thermometer and boil until temperature is 250 degrees...add food coloring without stirring (the boiling will mix the color in). Continue to boil and when it reaches 300 degrees remove from heat and stir in Lorraine oil flavoring.
Spread half on each greased cookie sheet and as it cools, score candy and break into pieces. Drop pieces into powered sugar to coat - this keeps the candy from sticking together.
Here is just a little example of what I made...

No comments:

Post a Comment

ICU Nurse it is

 Hi everyone!! I am just here checking in quickly. I almost feel bad checking in as it has been an eternity since I posted!!! UGH! Life has ...